Man Utd transfer news includes the latest update on Jose Mourinho’s plans to improve the squad ahead of the Premier League fixtures.
Manchester United could continue to reinforce their squad after they complete their four priority signings.
A year ago, Jose Mourinho identified four positions to enhance United’s first-team and he is set to make additions in the same areas this summer.
M.E.N. Sport reported last month Mourinho wanted to buy four players and United are expected to clinch deals for Real Madrid striker Alvaro Morata and Chelsea midfielder Nemanja Matic before the squad flies out to the United States on July 9, while the club remains interested in Internazionale forward Ivan Perisic.
United manager Mourinho could further strengthen his senior set-up but any moves are believed to be dependent on departures.
Mourinho and United executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward have no intention of doing business on deadline day but the Portuguese reiterated he would be open to signing players after the competitive season begins with the Super Cup tie against Real Madrid in Skopje on August 8.
“I got fed up and tired of football until the last day,” Mourinho confessed earlier this month. “I promised that you would not see me in football stadiums, and I stopped negotiating for players and being worried.
“I handed my list to the CEO in April and he has until August 31 to give me what I want, or not.”
The club is comfortable with Adnan Januzaj’s impending exit even though they are yet to agree a transfer fee with Inter for winger Perisic, since the Belgian was not involved in Mourinho’s plans last season. Januzaj’s exit is also offset by Andreas Pereira’s return from his loan spell.
Uncertainty also surrounds the futures of reserve goalkeeper Sam Johnstone, Chris Smalling and captain Wayne Rooney. Ashley Young and Luke Shaw are out of contract next year but it is understood they have not been told they are free to leave the club.
Mourinho was open to making Jose Fonte, then the Southampton captain, his fifth signing last year but United’s failure to offload Marcos Rojo and the £15million asking price for a 30-something defender who had less than two years left on his contract kept Fonte at St Mary’s.
Rojo’s lay-off could increase the need for a central defender if United grant Smalling permission to leave. The 27-year-old defender has two years remaining on his deal and endured a regressive campaign under Mourinho, who publicly rebuked Smalling a number of times.
Mourinho had previously considered signing two midfielders but Marouane Fellaini and Michael Carrick’s extensions have eased the need for an additional midfield arrival to Matic.
A year ago, Mourinho confirmed the M.E.N.’s story that his belated appointment as United manager scuppered their chances of signing Renato Sanches.
Despite reports Louis van Gaal did not want to sign Sanches the M.E.N. revealed that was a smokescreen, since United refused to publicly undermine Van Gaal and could have clinched a deal for Sanches a week before he agreed to join Bayern Munich.
“I arrived late,” Mourinho said. “I signed in May, we started talking a week before, but completely out of the process. If I had arrived earlier, I’d fight for him.
“Manchester United watched Renato many times and maybe I did it even more. In so much time at home, I watched many Benfica and Portuguese league games, I got to know the boy better with time.”
Mourinho attempted to sign Matic a year ago to supplement Paul Pogba but Chelsea coach Antonio Conte blocked a move. Eventually, Mourinho assembled a 26-man squad for the beginning of last season before Bastian Schweinsteiger returned from his exile in late October.